List of Readings for Modules 01-14
Resources that Trainers Can Use in Multiple Modules
- [Video] Effective EFL Teacher- D. Deubelbeiss
- [Ref] Glossary of English Language Teaching Terms Foreign Languages Workshop, Annenberg OR A (Mostly) Complete Glossary, Chris Cotter, Or The Teaching Knowledge A-Z Wiki, British Council.
- [PPT] ELT Training Channel- D. Deubelbeiss
- [Video] Teacher Training Videos- British Council
- [CC] Graphic Organizers: KWL Chart, Compare and Contrast Chart, Venn Diagram, Network Tree,
by Judie Haynes, Everything ESL.
- [CC] Teacher's Handbooks Lots of simple, easy to use activities for every mode: Reading/Writing/Speaking/Listening
Broad Overview Articles and Resources
- [Video] Principles and Practices - H.D. Brown
- [PD] 30 years of TEFL / TESL - A Personal Reflection, SEAMEO Regional Language Center, Singapore, by Jack Richards
- [PD] What do we know about learning and teaching 2nd languages?, by Francis Mangubhai, Asian EFL Journal
- [PD] New to Teaching, Teaching Effectiveness Program, U of Oregon (for college teaching but most applies directly to any new teacher.)
- [PD] What We Can Learn From Foreign Language Teaching In Other Countries, (ERIC Digest EDO-FL-01-06), by Ingrid Pufahl, Nancy C. Rhodes, and Donna Christian.
- [PD] Language Teaching Methodology, (ERIC Digest ED), by Theodore S. Rodgers.
- [CC] English Teaching Methodology, by Jason Renshaw, English Raven.
- [PD] Communicative Language Teaching: An Introduction And Sample Activities, ERIC Digest, by Ann Galloway, Center for Applied Linguistics (CAL).
- [PD] Promoting a Language Proficient Society: What You Can Do, (ERIC Digest EDO-FL-00-01), by Kathleen M. Marcos and Joy Kreeft Peyton.
- [PD] Brain Research: Implications for Second Language Learning, (ERIC Digest), by Fred Genesee.
- [PD] Professional Development for Language Teachers, (ERIC Digest EDO-FL-03-03), by Gabriel H. Diaz-Maggioli
- [CC] Increasing Student Engagement and Motivation: From Time-on-Task to Homework, NWREL, by Cori Brewster & Jennifer Fager.
- [CC] Current Perspectives On Improving Aural Comprehension, by Joan Morley.
01 Contextualizing Language
- [CC] Contextualizing Language, by Sarah J. Klinghammer, Univ. of Oregon
- [PPT] Personalizing Lesson Content, by D. Deubelbeiss, Seoul Education Training Institute
- [CC] Film in the Classroom, by Kitty Johnson, USIA English Teaching Fellow. An example of how to combine language in context with films in the classroom.
- [CC] Project-Based Instruction: Creating Excitement for Learning, August 2002, by Jennifer Railsback.
- [CP] Approaches to Instruction, Teaching the Skills, from Saskatchewan Learning. An overview of teaching language skills with a focus on language in context.
- [CP] Balanced Literacy: An Overview, from Teaching Matters. An example of ways to teach literacy skills with a focus on language in context.
- [PD] Contextual Factors in Second Language Acquisition, ERIC Digest EDO-FL-00-05, by Aída Walqui.
02 Building Language Awareness
03 Integrating Skills
- [PD] Integrated Skills in the ESL/EFL Classroom, (ERIC Digest EDO-FL-01-05), by Rebecca Oxford.
- [CP] Games & Activities for the ESL/EFL Classroom, A Project of The Internet TESL Journal. Ice-breakers and games can be good activities to use as a platform for integrating skills, especially when blended or expanded with additional tasks.
- [CC] ESL Telling, from Cathy Spagnoli. Storytelling can be useful for combining receptive (listening, reading) and productive (speaking, writing) skills.
- [CC] Teaching English: Content Based Instruction, by Nik Peachey. (CBI is an approach that incorporates integrated skills.)
- [CC] Reasons to use Music and Karaoke in language learning, by D. Deubelbeiss
- [CC] Forum: Into, Through, and Beyond. A Framework to Develop Content-Based Material, by Donna M. Brinton and Christine Holten.
- [PD] Content-ESL across the USA: A Training Packet, from NCELA.
- [CC] Content-based Surveys and Interviews, by Judie Haynes.
- [CC] Things to Do with Content-based Material, by Tom Robb, EFL instructor.
- [PD] Problem-Based Learning in Language Instruction: A Constructivist Method (ERIC Digest, ERIC Clearinghouse on Reading, English, and Communication Digest #132), by Mardziah Hayati Abdullah. (PBL is an approach that incorporates integrated skills.)
- [CC] FORUM: Project Work, A Means to Promote Language Content, by Fredricka L. Stoller.
- [CP] TPRS, A Communicative Approach to Language Learning, from Valerie Marsh.
- [CP] Readers Theater for Bilingual/ESL Students, by LaVon Bridges.
04 Pair and Group Work
- [Video] Hole in the Wall , CNN report on a project in India, Sugata Mitra
- [CC] Two Way Tasks, D. Deubelbeiss
- [CC]What is Collaborative Learning, Melinda Dooly
- [CC] Cooperative and Collaborative Learning, A self-paced online workshop in the Concept to Classroom series, from Thirteen Ed.
- [CC]Top Reasons to use Games in EFL Teaching, The Game Group
- [CC] Cooperative and Collaborative Learning, A self-paced online workshop in the Concept to Classroom series, from Thirteen Ed.
- [CC] Group Work v. Whole-class Activities, by Simon Andrewes.
- [CC] General Guidelines and Criteria for Effective Group Assignments,
from Larry Michaelson and University of Oregon's Teaching Effectiveness Program (TEP).
- [CC]Promoting Oral Fluency via Group and Pair Work,by Andy Hoodith, Saitama University.
- [CC] A Brief Summary of Best Practices in College Teaching, see: Part 2. Group Discussion Triggers. By Tom Drummond, North Seattle Community College.
- [PD] Classroom Strategies for Encouraging Collaborative Discussion, NCELA,
Directions in Language and Education, National Clearinghouse for Bilingual Education, No. 12, Summer 1998. By C. Simich-Dudgeon.
- [CC]Assessing Groupwork,from the Centre for the Study of Higher Education (CSHE).
- [CC]Group Work Rubrics and Checklists, from Canada’s National Adult Literacy Database (NALD).
- [CC]Rubric Group Grading, by Donna Marie Blakeney.
- [NA] Student Collaboration in the ESL / EFL Classroom, John Baker
- [NA] Classroom Strategies - Vocabulary
05 Learner Feedback
06 Classroom Management
- [Video] Classroom Management - Magic Lantern Communications
- [Video] How to Maintain good Classroom Management (1947) McGraw-Hill Films
- [CP] Discipline in the Classroom, Q & A - FLTeach
- [CC] How to Manage a Large Class, by Aida L. Pasigna.
- [CC] Classroom Management: Discipline & Organization, from Can Teach in Canada. Acquire tips sheets: A List of Ways to Encourage Good Behaviour; A List of Reward Ideas; Creating a Random Seating Plan; "I'm Done, Now What": A List of Things to Do After Seat Work; A List of Tried and True Theme Ideas; School/Class Pledges; A List of Fundraising Ideas; and, A List of Bulletin Board Ideas.
- [CC] Establishing Effective Schoolwide Behavior Management and Discipline Systems,by Kent D. Peterson.
- [CP] Top 10 Tips for Classroom Discipline and Management, by Melissa Kelly.
- [CP] 11 Techniques for Better Classroom Discipline, from The Honor Level System.
- [CC] Creating a Climate for Learning, Effective Classroom Management Techniques, from Education World.
- [CC] Classroom Management: Ten Teacher-Tested Tips! From Education World.
07 Learning Strategies
- [PD] Strategy Instruction, (ERIC Digest ED474302), by Pat Beckman.
- [PD] Active Learning Strategies, Wilbert J. McKeachie
- [PD] Strategy Training for Second Language Learners, (ERIC Digest EDO-FL-03-02), by Andrew Cohen.
- [PD] Language Learning Strategies: An Update, (ERIC Digest), by Rebecca Oxford.
- [PD] The Role of Metacognition in Second Language Teaching and Learning,
(ERIC Digest EDO-FL-01-10), by Neil J. Anderson.
- [PD] Using Cognitive Strategies to Develop English Language and Literacy,
(ERIC Digest EDO-FL-02-05), by JoAnn Crandall, Ann Jaramillo, Laurie Olsen, and Joy Kreeft Peyton.
- [PD] Cognitive Science and Assessment,(ERIC Digest ED481716), by Carol Boston.
- [CC] Autonomous Learning Modules, for Listening and Reading, from Helsinki University Language Centre, Finland.
- [CC] Writing: Instructional Philosophy and Teaching Suggestions, from Evergreen Curriculum Guides & Resources, Saskatchewan, Canada.
- [CC] Listening Styles and Listening Strategies, by David Huron. Written for listening to music but could be applied to non-musical listening as well.
- [CP] Conversation Strategies, from English Language Institute, University of British Columbia.
- [CP] Keys to Better Listening, from English Language Centre, Hong Kong Polytechnic University.
- [RD] Reading Strategies: What Do Good Readers Do? What Can You Do to Become a Better Reader? from Panhandle Area Educational Consortium (PAEC).
08 Authentic Materials
- [CC] Adapting Authentic Materials for Language Teaching, by Steven Darian.
- [PD] Culture in Second Language Teaching,
(ERIC Digest EDO-FL-03-09), by Elizabeth Peterson and Bronwyn Coltrane.
- [CC] From Lessons to Life: Authentic Materials Bridge the Gap, by Maria Spelleri., Pg 50.
- [CC] Developing Listening with Authentic Materials, by Lindsay Miller.
- [CC] Using Authentic Materials, by Sam Shepherd.
- [CP] The Outside World as an Extension of the EFL/ESL Classroom by Mark A. Pegrum. Internet TESL Journal.
- [CC] Authentic Materials and Cultural Content in EFL Classrooms, by Ferit Kilickaya. Internet TESL Journal.
- [CC] Selecting Authentic Materialsby Chantal Thompson
- [CP]Effective Ways to Use Authentic Materials with ESL/EFL Students, from Charles Kelly, Lawrence Kelly, Mark Offner and Bruce Vorland.
- [CP] Selecting Authentic Materials (Reading, Listening, Viewing), by Chantal Thompson.
09 Critical Thinking Skills
10 Alternative Assessment
- [Video] Test Design Dr. Andrew Finch
- [PD] Practical Ideas On Alternative Assessment For ESL Students, (ERIC Digest), by Jo-Ellen Tannenbaum.
- [PD] Peer and Cross-Age Tutoring, School Improvement Research Series (SIRS) from NWREL, Close Up #18, by Page Kalkowski.
- [PD] Part I and Part II, Developing Classroom Performance Assessments and Scoring Rubrics, (ERIC Digests ED481714 and ED481715), by Barbara M. Moskal. This article also contains references to articles from: Brualdi Implementing Performance Assessment (ERIC Digest ED423312), and Mertler Designing Scoring Rubrics for Your Classroom.
- [CC] Creating Rubrics from Teacher Vision. Articles 1 through 5.
- [CC] Ongoing Assessment of Language, Literacy, and Content Learning, from The Northeast and Islands Regional Educational Laboratory, Teaching Diverse Learners.
- [PD] Assessment Portfolios: Including English Language Learners in Large-Scale Assessments, (ERIC Digest EDO-FL-00-01), by Emily Gómez.
- [CC] Portfolio Assessment in the Foreign Language Classroom, from NCLRC. Parts 1 through 10.
11 Individual Learner Differences
- [Video] Differentiated Instruction
- [PD] Teaching Teenagers ELT Transcript, by Jeremy Harmer et al. .
- [PD] Teaching Multilevel Adult ESL Classes, (ERIC Digest EDO-LE-95-02), by Cathy C. Shank and Lynda R. Terrill [cached copy].
- [PD] Differentiation of Instruction in the Elementary Grades,
(ERIC Digest), by Carol Ann Tomlinson. Although not for L2 per se, it offers good advice for mixed ability classes with younger learners in general.
- [PD] Multiple Intelligences: Theory and Practice in Adult ESL, (ERIC Digest), by Mary Ann Christison and Deborah Kennedy.
- [CC] Learning Styles and Strategies, by Richard M. Felder and Barbara A. Soloman.
- [CP] Pedagogy: Learning Styles, from Jessica Blackmore.
- [CP] Howard Gardner, Multiple Intelligences and Education, from Mark K. Smith.
- [CP] Exploring "The Theory of Multiple Intelligences," from Accelerated Learning Network.
- [CP] Learning Styles Online.
- [CP] Learning Styles and Teaching, from Cheron Verster.
- [NA] Learning Styles Learn Effectively by Understanding Your Learning Preferences, from MindTools.
- [NA] Active Learning, Dr. Stewart Ross, Minnesota State Univ.
12 Younger Learners
- [PD] Teaching Children - 7 To Dos by George Stocker.
- [PD] Teaching Teenagers - The 12 Dos by Gary Anderson.
- [PD] Myths and Misconceptions about Second Language Learning (ERIC Digest ED350885), by Barry McLaughlin.
- [PD] Working With Young English Language Learners: Some Considerations, (ERIC Digest EDO-FL-03-01), by Bronwyn Coltrane.
- [PD] We Can Talk: Cooperative Learning in the Elementary ESL Classroom, (ERIC Digest), by Spencer Kagan.
- [PD] Thematic, Communicative Language Teaching in the K-8 Classroom (ERIC Digest EDO-FL-00-04), by Mari Haas.
- [PD] Thematic Literature and Curriculum for English Language Learners in Early Childhood Education, (ERIC Digest EDO-FL-02-08), by Betty Smallwood.
- [CC] Literacy Centers in the Elementary Classroom, from B. Van Deusen-MacLeod.
- [CC] Transition Techniques: Maximizing time on task through clear directions, brain breaks, and easy clean-up.
- [CP] Using Children’s Literature with Young Learners, by E. Brown, Internet TESL Journal.
- [CP] Classroom Organization: The Physical Environment, from L. Shalaway, Scholastic.
- [RD] Rapid Learning Stations, Sharon L. Bowman
13. Practicum / Peer Review
14 Teacher: Reflective Teaching
- [CP] Towards Reflective Teaching by Jack Richards
- [PD] Reflective Practice and Professional Development, (ERIC Digest ED449120), by Joan M. Ferraro.
- [PD] Teacher Mentoring as Professional Development, (ERIC Digest ED460125), by Leslie Huling and Virginia Resta.
- [CC] Reflective Teaching: Exploring Our Own Classroom Practice, by Julie Tice.
- [CC] Portfolio guides and checklists for teacher development, from S. Klinghammer, University of Oregon [MS Word files]: Portfolio Process, Portfolio Contents Guide, Portfolio Conference Guide, Peer Evaluation Checklist, Self-Evaluation Checklist, Final Evaluation Checklist.
- [CP] Developing an Academic Portfolio: Guidelines,
From UT Sydney, Australia. (2004). Information on Academic Portfolios, organized records of teachers' academic experiences, achievements and professional development over a period of time. It consists of a collection of documents which illustrate the variety and quality of work, along with reflections on these documents and on the teachers' development over time.
15. Using Educational Technology
- [Video] Using Video in the Classroom - D. Deubelbeiss
- [Video] Learning 2.0 - D. Deubelbeiss
- [PD] Digital Natives, Digital Immigrants Part 1, Part 2 by Marc Prensky, 2001, On The Horizon, MCB Press
- [PP] Approaches to Learner Autonomy, Erin Lowry.
- [Video] What is Web 2.0?, Wikipedia article.
- [Video] Pay Attention-Digital Learners, T-4 Jordan School District
- [Video] Web 2.0 Tools for EFL teaching, Tiago Eduardo
- [CP] Making a Power Point Powerful, D. Deubelbeiss