School of TEFL

Here is the ppt from a recent presentation and further resources for reading and prof. development. See my suggested reading at the end. Also, these workshops I gave on Student centered teaching have many materials which will be of use, in particular the ppts which you can print and make flashcards. See more at EFL 2.0 (click the tab above) or on Lessons in a Can.

View my paper on "The Upside Down Lesson Plan" for a contrast with traditional methodology.

This is an important topic and I feel that teachers of all stripes need to "flip" their thinking and give students more respect and opportunity to organize, control, play and learn.

Teachers can do a few immediate things to make the learning more about "discovery" and less about "explanation".

1. Step back. Put the students center stage. Allow them input about what and how they want to learn. (give surveys / discuss)
2. Start with the last things (Production). Flip your lesson plan and let the students "muck about".
3. Don't explain too much and don't fall in love with "outcomes". Most learning is what happens outside the specific objectives.
4. Try to unlearn how you were taught. Get the students ACTIVE and see what happens.

Here's the full TED TALK of Sugata Mitra of the "hole in the wall" project. Students CAN teach themselves! Here's the short CNN report.

Views: 1188

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Cooperative Learning / Active learning / Project based learning / communicative teaching / Tasked based Instruction are other ways to achieve inductive learning in the classroom.

Attachments:
Here are some important readings which will shed light on why we have to focus on LEARNING not teaching. This video shows how we can adapt our classroom practices to meet student's needs.

the object of education.pdf

Bill Gates Better Schools, Dennis Littky New Ideas.doc
BIBLIOGRAPHY OF LEARNER AUTONOMY.doc
The Ignorant Schoolmaster jacques ranciere.doc
Attachments:

John Taylor Gatto is a former acclaimed teacher who gave up the ghost and started to get us to think about our schools and school systems and how they are really detrimental to true learning.Here's an interview with him. Part of the deSchooling movement, it is energizing thought. See Illych's seminal paper, a short but necessary read.

Attachments:
Here are a few resources which outline many task based, thinking based activities for classroom use.

27 games to play in the car.doc

Trust Building Activities.doc
Attachments:
Here is a nice game for prompting and seeing inductive teachng in action. Throw on the ppt and get the students to brainstorm the answers in groups. Then go around the groups and be amazed at the thinking of your students!

Not Like the Other Things...

Uploaded on authorSTREAM by eflclassroom
Attachments:
Inductive teaching is starting FIRST with production. Actually, turning your usual lesson plan UPSIDE DOWN.

Here's some recommended reading - many you can download here above...

Here is Illych's - After Deschooling, What? It was written around 1968 and I find it amazing how relevant it is for today -- almost like we haven't really changed anything and still are confronted with problems in how to educate students to be curious, productive and mind "full" members of society and school not simply be a "hit or miss' propostion.
Attachments:
This lecture from youtube.edu is about Teaching 2.0. No more sage on the stage in university but letting the students learn socially and through participation and interaction together...trusting them!

Been trying to reach u, how do i start tefl course becos its confusing

You need to watch each video and do the quiz for each video below with the recommended readings. http://teachers.schooloftefl.com/page/teacher-training

Certificates and letters of confirmation are provided for EFL Classroom 2.0 paid members. http://community.eflclassroom.com

RSS

© 2017   Created by ddeubel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service